BY JOE GENCO
A short take on today’s news:
- Back to our great America edition. I don’t like calling names, but who are you if you ever thought for a moment our America stopped being great?
- Praise Jesus: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez made it to the Top of the Fox News Website because she tweeted on Christmas that Jesus was a refugee. Somehow ridiculing her is more important than anything going on in the White House, at the borders or in the middle east. Besides, what about Hillary?
- But wait. There’s more! Another Fox headline, further down Page 1 of its site, quoting outgoing Sen. Claire McCaskill questioning why Ocasio-Cortez is so popular with Democrats.
- President Trump skipped golf on Christmas Day and met the media in the oval office to remind us many federal employees support the Trump Shutdown because they see the symbolic importance of the Trump Memorial wall.
- AP fact-checked the President’s Twitter pronouncement about a 115-mile long section of wall in Texas being contracted. At best, his statement was confusing and misleading. The construction he referenced is already under way.
- As the White House churns. Two years in, 10 of 30 senior staff remain in the Trump administration. Some are names you recognize, like Kushner and Conway, others are under the radar.
- Less than a month after Jakelin Caal died in federal custody, it’s happened again, this time an 8-year-old boy from Guatemala.
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement has been releasing asylum-seeking migrants by the 100s in an El Paso park.
- Gun control advocates celebrated 26 states passing new laws. 7 states passed new rights laws in 2018.
- WNY Weather: Cloudy today, high near 2 (34). Cloudy again tomorrow with some breaks of sun, high near 6 (42). Interesting on Christmas to leave our snow-free home in Clarence and drive to Millgrove to find 6-inches.
- Chocolate covered brussels sprouts in a Ferrero Rocher Candy wrapper? What a fine Christmas prank.
- Christmas Vacation the movie, remembered.
- A regular reader questioned how Pat Harrington could be nominated for a Grammy when Robert Parker’s Freightrain tribute to the Allmans was not original. The answer is for best contemporary blues album as a member of Victor Wainwright and the Train. Nobody ever comes from Gasport but. . .
- I am not competitive. I just don’t like losing.
- The black squirrel carcass vanished. We will never know what critter snagged him. Owl? Possum? Coyote? Fox?
- Remember when President Trump said he was going to self-fund his campaign and then didn’t?
- Boyd Curiosity: In that matter of breakfast cereals, nothing sells more than Corn Flakes. At least when Boyd wrote his book in 1985 or so.
- Chad Johnson is a Duck now. They are his 8th team after he was a victim of the O’Reilly effect in St. Louis.
- Phillip Lindsey is the best undrafted free agent in the NFL, rising to become a star after starting 6th on the depth chart. He’s not the only one, though, even if you don’t mention Robert Foster.
- Joe B’s All-22 grades from the Pats game must have been on a curve.