BY JOE GENCO
A Short Take on Today’s News:
- If you are a Trump supporter, you might call them “fake” or “enemies of the people.” Time Magazine calls slain and imprisoned journalists “Person of the Year.” I guess it’s just a matter of perspective. That and belief in the 1st Amendment.
- In the words of Sarah Sanders, President Trump’s rough handling and criticism of the working press is justified as a way of enforcing accountability. She defends him masterfully.
- President Trump got together with Rep. Nancy Pelosi and Sen. Chuck Schumer and bickered at length about border security and the need for a Trump Memorial Wall. Our President says the wall is so important he is contemplating another Trump shutdown, which will be good for his legacy. He’s had 4 already. Reagan had 8 in 8 years. It’s been less than two.
- Meanwhile, Google is under fire in Congressional hearings for tracking where you are and also little intricacies, like the way photos of our President populate if you do an image search for “idiot”. I thought it was funny. When I search “brilliant” I get Einstein.
- British Prime Minister Theresa May, in the wake of Brexit agreement failure, is facing a “no confidence vote” in Parliament. The secret vote could open her seat to challengers. Imagine if our government had such a mechanism.
- Our President’s twisted sense of what wall has been already built doesn’t hold up to fact checkers, but since when does reality have anything to do with his utterances. Verifiable reality no longer matters.
- Former Trump tryst-mate Stormy Daniels, also known as Stephanie Clifford, has been ordered to pay $393,000 in legal fees encumbered by the President in a defamation suit. I guess he got his $130,000 back.
- Now it’s Kellyanne Conway’s turn to beat up on Alexandria Ocasio-Crotez, claiming the Rep-elect doesn’t seem to know much about anything. The right can’t stop talking about her or elevating her status.
- Boyd Curiosity: Does the skunk have a 6-shooter? It depends if the first shot misses. The spray also gives off an eerie, phosphorescent glow
- A mysterious radar blip over Kentucky can’t be explained by the National Weather Service. Nearby military installations deny responsibility. Special forces or sky trumpets I suppose.
- Arctic ice is melting at times and places scientists don’t expect.
- I went to Step Out Buffalo’s website hoping to write about Carmine’s but alas, I lost some time in Medina. It’s worth the drive.
- Then I went back and found the Carmine’s article and realized it was from last summer. Same difference. The food is still good.
- WNY Weather: Cloudy today with a high of 2. Warming near 10 (40s) Thursday with a chance of rain. Time for the annual run to the Niagara Falls outlets.
- Container gardens represent endless possibilities, even for vegetables. Connie Oswald Stofko explains.
- I won’t be able to make it to The Tabernacle to see Mark Mitri win cyclist of the year, but you can go tonight.
- The Lions play the Bills Sunday. They have 5 wins and are still in the NFC playoff hunt.
- Scott Pitoniak writes about President Bush and baseball.
- Eichel stayed hot and a 3-1 deficit turned into a 4-3 win with Skinner netting the winner. Glad the losing streak didn’t bookend the winning one.